Monday 20 October 2008

I'm Bart!! (Personality)

Personality can be defined as: "a person’s unique make up, which consistently influences the way the person responds to his or her environment” (Solomon 1999)

Before this class, we took a test to determine what kind of personality we have. As silly as it sounds, the test; “Which Simpson’s character are you aligned with?” proved very interesting. We choose from different descriptions which had a letter assigned to them, making up a code and the code related to a character. My code was ESTP which means I am aligned with Bart Simpson!!


Although my personality type is aligned with Bart, it does not mean I do things like this!! <--

The description states that I love action and always seem to be doing something. I am clear headed when it comes to dealing with emergencies; I enjoy lavishing loved ones with big gifts (I’m not sure how true that is now that I’m a student!!) and apparently I’m also good to have on your side. According to the Simpsons personality test my weaknesses include getting bored easily and lavishing loved ones with big gifts!

My personality type can be defined as “ESTP- The Persuader” and according to http://www.mypersonality.info/personality-types/estp/ ESTPs are action-loving, "here and now" realists with excellent people skills. Informal, risk-taking, fast-paced and adaptable, they are not always in agreeance with rules and regulations. They are tactical problem solvers that desire quick results. ESTPs, who present a friendly and enthusiastic face, are straight shooters that are able to handle criticism. Out of the numerous personality tests I have taken I think the results of this one are most true of me- I really am a Simpson!

Why not take this personality test and compare your results to mine? http://www.scribd.com/doc/2286999/Simpsons-personality-types

This class also focused on Self Concept which can be defined as “the complex mental picture that people have of themselves” (Kotler 2008). In order to understand consumer behaviour, the marketer must first understand the relationship between consumer self-concept and possessions. To understand this further, here is an example provided from ‘Principles of Marketing, Fifth European Edition, Kotler et.al)

Apple applies this concept in a recent set of ads that characterise two people as two computers – one person plays the part of an Apple Mac and the other plays a PC. “Hello, I’m a Mac’, says the person on the right, who’s a youngster and dressed in jeans. ‘And I’m a PC’, says the nerd of the left, who’s wearing dweeby glasses and a jacket and tie. The two men discuss the relative advantages of Macs versus PS’s, with the Mac coming out on top. The ads present the Mac brand personality as young, modern and relaxed. The PC is portrayed as buttoned down, corporate and a bit dorky. The message? If you see yourself as young and with it, you need a Mac.

Inserted below is a youtube video of 15 short Apple ads similar to that outlined above! Enjoy!!


1 comment:

Ruth Hickmott said...

This is great. As I've said before you have a lovely writing style - perfect for on-line editorial